Turbulence model in PyFR

Dear All,

I have read an article “Brian C. Vermeire, Freddie D. Witherden, Peter E. Vincent: On the utility of GPU accelerated high-order methods for unsteady flow simulations: A comparison with industry-standard tools. J. Comput. Physics 334: 497-521 (2017).”, and I am trying to simulate the circular cylinder and SD7003 aerofoil cases. Thank you for providing the mesh and setup files for the simulation cases in the article by the authors, and update the setup file of the SD7003 case for recent PyFR code by Robert.

I have questions about turbulence model used in the cases as described below.

1. In the cylinder case, implicit large eddy simulation (ILES) was used in PyFR simulation. Is the ILES function available in latest PyFR v1.6.0?

2. Regarding the SD7003 case, the WALE subgrid scale model was used in the STAR-CCM+ simulation. Was PyFR run without any turbulence model in the SD7003 case?

Best regards,
Junichi

Hi Junichi,

In both the cylinder and SD7003 cases in the paper you cited we used an Implicit LES (ILES) approach. With ILES we rely on the inherent numerical dissipation of the flux reconstruction approach at high frequencies to act as an implicit sub grid scale model for the un-resolved scales. Therefore, there is no explicit SGS model currently implemented in PyFR. You can read more about ILES using flux reconstruction here: “B.C. Vermeire, S. Nadarajah, P.G. Tucker, Implicit large eddy simulation using the high-order correction procedure via reconstruction scheme. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 2016; 82:231–260”. The introduction has a general discussion about the approach.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your information about ILES. I have downloaded and read the article you told me. I’m interesting in the concept of LES simulation without explicit SGS term in flux reconstruction. I will try simulation of high speed flow in de Laval nozzle and cavity flow using PyFR.

Best regards,
Junichi

2017年3月29日水曜日 23時09分03秒 UTC+9 Brian Vermeire:

Dear Junichi:

Could you kindly share me the mesh and setup files of the circular cylinder and SD7003 aerofoil cases?

Best regards!
Yue

在 2017年3月29日星期三 UTC+8下午6:13:01,Junichi Fukui写道:

Dear Yue,

I have downloaded the mesh and setup files of the cases from following site.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999116307136#se0220

There is zip file included the case files at “Appendix A. Supplementary material” on the site.

Best regards,
Junichi

2017年12月25日月曜日 18時05分06秒 UTC+9 王跃: