Subgrid wall model

Hi,

I wonder if anyone in the community has implemented wall modelled LES in the PyFR. This question may be asked for many times but curious about the recent updates and wonder if this is on the current road map of PyFR?

Regards,
Zhenyang

I do not believe there has been any recent work on wall models. It is not currently on the road map and this is unlikely to change unless there are substantial theoretical developments in the capabilities of these models.

Regards, Freddie.

Hi Freddie,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will stay with iLES. I still have some more questions about the ILES. I have some cases running ILES with pretty refined mesh close to the wall which turns out it is a bit waste since in the aeroacoustic applications, normally super small structures very close to the wall are not necessary to be resolved. Now with the new case, I tried to use coarser mesh at the wall layer which seems to be a problem for ILES. Solution always blows up at the wall bc unless I use super fine mesh which exceeded our computational/storage capability. Do you have any solutions to this problem? Will soln-filter do better job in some ways?

Regards,
Zhenyang

If you boundary is laminar there is not much that can be done. The steep gradients at the wall require a significant amount of resolution to resolve and there is no effective means of mitigating this.

Regards, Freddie.

I see. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Zhenyang