Contour or Clip operation fails in Paraview

Hi, everyone. Sorry to bother you.

Recently, I conducted a cylinder turbulent flow simulation using pyFR version 1.15.0. The simulation seemed to proceed without any issues, and there were no errors reported throughout the simulation. I successfully converted the computed pyfrs files into VTU files. However, I encountered problems during post-processing.

Allow me to provide one of my computed VTU files as a reference, if you don’t mind. When I open it in Paraview, it appears to display correctly. However, whenever I click on Contour or Clip, and then click Apply, Paraview consistently crashes and reports a Segmentation fault (core dumped) error.

cylinder-060.vtu

In fact, this isn’t the first time I’ve encountered this error. I often come across this issue during post-processing after pyFR simulations are completed. Initially, I naively thought it might be due to my computer’s computing capabilities causing a data explosion and crash (a speculative guess on my part). However, the error occurred even with smaller files, around 54MB in size, and I’m a bit puzzled.

I understand that this is a problem highly related to Paraview, but my operations are quite straightforward. I simply open it with Paraview, click the Contour or Clip button, and then click Apply, and the error occurs. I’m beginning to suspect there might be an issue with my VTU file itself. However, the pyFR simulation completes without any errors, so I’m unsure how to resolve this issue.

If there’s any relevant information that could help me understand and solve my confusion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards.

This definitely sounds like an issue an the Paraview side of things and you might be better placed to ask there support. However, saying that, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of it. Firstly are you able to reproduce this using one of the PyFR examples?

This is a ParaView problem. Please report the error (ideally with a backtrace and the associated VTU file on the ParaView discourse.

Even if the file is corrupt it should never be able to cause ParaView to crash; just throw an error message.

Regards, Freddie.