Understanding .vtu output from PyFR

All,

I have attached my an image of my initial 2-D mesh consisting entirely of quads (simple flow over a cylinder). I’ve run a simulation out 7.5 seconds using a time step of 1.0e-04, and it ran to completion leaving me with a series of *.pyfrs files. After converting these into *.vtu files and loading a *.vtu file into Paraview I end up with something that looks like the second image, ‘pyfr-vtu-output.png’. I’m not exactly sure what I’m seeing, or why the location of the scalar field variables don’t resemble my original mesh in this case. I notice data related to the x-, y-, and z- coordinates of points seems to be missing…

Secondly, I know this isn’t exactly a PyFR related question, but using the series of *.vtu files shouldn’t I be able to create an animation in Paraview of some field variable? If so is there a resource that demonstrates how this is done? Is there a specific naming scheme for the *.vtu files that needs to be used in order for Paraview to recognize them as a single collection?

Best Regards,

Pointwise, Inc. |
Zach Davis
Pointwise®, Inc.
Sr. Engineer, Sales & Marketing
213 South Jennings Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104-1107

E: zach.davis@pointwise.com
P: (817) 377-2807 x1202
F: (817) 377-2799
|

• | - |

enc

All,

I’m going to update my initial inquiry with an updated image of the output from Paraview after converting the solution file into an unstructured VTK file (*.vtu). I was finally able to find my mesh, but something is getting messed up in either the conversion from a *.msh file to a *.pyfrm file prior to running the solution, or there’s something wrong with the conversion from the *.pyfrs to *.vtu format.

Best Regards,

Pointwise, Inc. |
Zach Davis
Pointwise®, Inc.
Sr. Engineer, Sales & Marketing
213 South Jennings Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104-1107

E: zach.davis@pointwise.com
P: (817) 377-2807 x1202
F: (817) 377-2799
|

• | - |