Windows: cuBLAS not Initializing

Hi there!

Really excited to get into the awesome new world of PyFR! So far as I can tell you guys have done a beautiful job! I’m having an issue with dependencies, or running into a bug? Not sure which…

Calling any pyfr run -b cuda mesh.pyfrm init.inicommand spits out the following response.

The issue is of course the pyfr.backends.cuda.cublas.CUBLASNotInitialized Error. This is an error code which is documented in the CUDA documentation.

It hints there that perhaps cublasCreate should be called earlier? Right now in PyFr1.5.0, we load the library, wrap it, and THEN we “Create”:

class CUDACUBLASKernels(object):
def __init__(self, backend):
# Load and wrap CUBLAS
self._wrappers = CUBLASWrappers()

# Init
self._handle = c_void_p()
self._wrappers.cublasCreate(self._handle)

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely confused,
Jonny Hyman
:slight_smile:

The code ordering is correct. We can not call cublasCreate from
libcublas.so until we have loaded libcublas.so. Thus, the first thing
we do is load it. Next, we make the relevant functions from the library
available to Python. Once cuBLAS is available we proceed to call
cublasCreate.

Thus our first call into the library is one to cublasCreate.

Can you confirm if other cublas applications work with your set-up?

Regards, Freddie.

Ah! Of course. That makes sense now. Thanks!

This is the first application I’ve (knowingly) encountered which uses cublas. Not sure what other apps would utilize it. Open to suggestions!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Solved!

To anyone facing the same dependency struggles I had getting PyFR to run, here’s some tips:

• It’s not stated on the PyFR dependency list, but Microsoft Visual Studio is an implicit requirement. VS2015 Community works for this application.

• I had to re-install CUDA 8 with drivers. I had done a custom setup before, but the dynamic links must not have all been made.

• Be careful to check that all the packages you get on pip are 64bit. I had pip hang or crash many times with weird errors because I needed to get the 64bit wheel!

• PyFR 1.50 as of Dec 10, 2016 is NOT ON the Python Package Index (PIP). That is PyFR 1.4. Only two big updates with 1.5 but still!

• There seems to be an issue between system variables with CUDA 8 + VS2015 Community in use with PyCuda. It is solved by adding the system variables:

1. INCLUDE="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt"

2. LIB="C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.10240.0\um\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Lib\10.0.10240.0\ucrt\x64"

• Try this if you get the error :
  1. fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘corecrt.h’: No such file or directory

2. mod.cu

The thread I found the solution in even mentions PyFR 1.50!

Hope this is useful to everyone.

Happy CFDing everyone!

Many thanks for your interest in the project and the info you have posted.

• PyFR 1.50 as of Dec 10, 2016 is NOT ON the Python Package Index (PIP). That is PyFR 1.4. Only two big updates with 1.5 but still!

This was my fault - should be up to date now! Thanks!

Cheers

Peter