Viscous interface: ldg-beta and ldg-tau definition

Hello,

where may I find more informations regarding ldg-beta and ldg-tau in the literature? Could you point to a good reference to study them?

Best regards

See Eq (25) and (27) in:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010465514002549

along with the references therein.

Regards, Freddie.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the answer, very grateful

Best regards

Hi @fdw,

is there any relationship in terms of accuracy of the computed solution if the values are not 0.5 and 0.1 respectively? E.g. ldg-tau = 1,2 … or ldg-beta any other value in [-1, 1]?

Best regards

The differences are typically minor. Taking ldg-beta to be \pm 0.5 does have slight performance advantages hence it is the default.

Regards, Freddie.

To my understanding for ldc-beta ± 0.5 is because of upwind/downwind biasing with a compact stencil (am I right?) but what about tau? Is any value “reasonable” with minor deteriorations even large ones like 1.0, 2.0 etc…?

Best regards

The performance benefit comes from the fact that when beta is \pm 1/2 that you only need gradients from one side of the interface. This reduces the amount of work that the common interface flux code has to perform.

Larger values of ldg-tau may introduce excessive dissipation and there is not usually a benefit to using anything outside the range of zero to one.

Regards, Freddie.