Problem with boundary conditions

Hi all,

I tried to replicate the flow around a cylinder simulation of the paper “On the utility of GPU accelerated high-order methods for unsteady flow simulations A comparison with industry-standard tools”. The boundary conditions for inlet and outlet are:

[soln-bcs-outlet]
type = char-riem-inv
rho = 1
u = 0.2366431913
v = 0
w = 0
p = 1

[soln-bcs-inlet]
type = char-riem-inv
rho = 1
u = 0.2366431913
v = 0
w = 0
p = 1

After running the simulation, I tried to change them with:

[soln-bcs-outlet]
type = sub-out-fp
p = 1

[soln-bcs-inlet]
type = sub-in-frv
rho = 1
u = 0.2366431913
v = 0
w = 0

but the simulation diverges, and I get NaN values. Why?

Thank you for your help,
Andrea

I don’t think that the description of your issue is sufficiently detailed to understand the root cause…

However, I suppose that changing your outlet BCs from non-reflecting to pressure outlet might cause numerical instabilities.

To better diagnose your problem, you should try to output the field solution at an instant close to when NaN occur. The visualization of such solution should give you enough clues to better understand where is the issue coming from. Moreover, you could also try to tune in the time-integrator parameters to try to stabilize your simulations.

Gonzalo

Hi Andrea,

You should be able to download the mesh and input file for these cases as supplementary material from the paper online.

This will show you how to setup the boundary conditions, initial conditions, etc. and a .msh file is also there for you to inspect.

Please note this was run with an older version of PyFR, so some of the input file settings/names make have changed in newer versions.

Thanks,