High order gmsh support

Hi,

I am trying to import high order mesh generated by Gmsh to Pyfr. However, some of the high order mesh element type (i.e type 28, fifth order edge) is not supported. Do you know how can I process this kind of mesh and import to pyfr? And if only lower order mesh is supported in the pyfr (i.e, order 3), can I use higher p order in the ini file without any interpolation pre-running?

Thanks ahead!

Best,
Zhenyang

Are you trying to generate a 2D or 3D mesh?

Hi,

I only tried to generate a 2D mesh.

When you say it is not supported, what is the error message and traceback?

The error indicates that your mesh has 1D elements (edges). These should not be present in a 2D mesh (which should contain exclusively triangles and quadrilaterals).

Regards, Freddie.

Hi,

For order 6 edge: “ValueError: Unsupported element type 62”

For order 5 edge: “ValueError: Unsupported element type 28”

element type can be found here: Gmsh 4.8.4

Hi Freddie,

I guess from what generated by
gmsh, they always list element from 1D to higher dimension in ‘$Element’ section. And for the lower order like order 3, it can be read by pyfr. I attach two test mesh files, only order is changed the rest is the same.

Sorry forgot to attach the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/bin/pyfr”, line 33, in
sys.exit(load_entry_point(‘pyfr==1.11.0’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘pyfr’)())
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/main.py”, line 111, in main
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/main.py”, line 122, in process_import
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/readers/init.py”, line 18, in get_reader_by_extn
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/readers/gmsh.py”, line 89, in init
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/readers/gmsh.py”, line 222, in _read_eles
File “/cfs/klemming/nobackup/z/zhenyang/conda-dirs/envs/pyfr-tegner/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pyfr-1.11.0-py3.7.egg/pyfr/readers/gmsh.py”, line 253, in _read_eles_impl_v41
ValueError: Unsupported element type 28