Error when running case sd7003 with pyfr1.12.3

Dear all,
I saw some cases in paper On the utility of GPU accelerated high-order methods for unsteady flow simulations: A comparison with industry-standard tools - ScienceDirect , such as case sd7003. I run the case using the file get from that website. But there are some errors like

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/configparser.py", line 789, in get
    value = d[option]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/collections/__init__.py", line 898, in __getitem__
    return self.__missing__(key)            # support subclasses that define __missing__
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/collections/__init__.py", line 890, in __missing__
    raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: 'tend'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/bin/pyfr", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 117, in main
    args.process(args)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 250, in process_run
    _process_common(
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 232, in _process_common
    solver = get_solver(backend, rallocs, mesh, soln, cfg)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/solvers/__init__.py", line 16, in get_solver
    return get_integrator(backend, systemcls, rallocs, mesh, initsoln, cfg)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/__init__.py", line 36, in get_integrator
    return integrator(backend, systemcls, rallocs, mesh, initsoln, cfg)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/std/controllers.py", line 89, in __init__
    super().__init__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/std/controllers.py", line 13, in __init__
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/std/steppers.py", line 133, in __init__
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/std/base.py", line 12, in __init__
    super().__init__(backend, rallocs, mesh, initsoln, cfg)
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/integrators/base.py", line 28, in __init__
    self.tend = cfg.getfloat('solver-time-integrator', 'tend')
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/inifile.py", line 102, in getfloat
    return float(self.get(section, option, default))
  File "/home/hpc/luli/.venv/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pyfr/inifile.py", line 49, in get
    val = self._cp.get(section, option, vars=vars)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/configparser.py", line 792, in get
    raise NoOptionError(option, section)
configparser.NoOptionError: No option 'tend' in section: 'solver-time-integrator'

what’s wrong with me ?

Looking at the config file provided in the supplementary material, it uses an old PyFR ini file syntax. You will need to update it following the documentation here: PyFR — Documentation

I recently used this very case with 1.12.3 in this paper: [2111.07915] Artificial Compressibility Approaches in Flux Reconstruction for Incompressible Viscous Flow Simulations

So I can confirm it still works once you sort out those problems. Though, if you want to re-partition the case you will have to modify the PyFR slightly as the case was partitioned before the linear element tagging was added.

Thank you! I change the .ini file and now it works! I also have a question, what’s the meaning of the word “-p” in command “pyfr run -b cuda -p cylinder.pyfrm cylinder.ini”?

It when you use -p it prints the progress bar to the screen. You can use pyfr --help, pyfr run --help etc. for more info.

Thank you very much !!!