Error: undefined symbol: cuDeviceGetUuid_v2

Hello everyone,

I’m new to PyFR and trying to perform a simple simulation of the 2d cylinder case. I’ve created a virtual environment and I downloaded all the python packages for PyFR dependencies. When I’m trying to run PyFR for generating the solution files, the following error is shown:

$ pyfr run -b cuda -p inc-cylinder.pyfrm inc-cylinder.ini
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/bin/pyfr", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 118, in main
    args.process(args)
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 251, in process_run
    _process_common(
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/__main__.py", line 230, in _process_common
    backend = get_backend(args.backend, cfg)
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/backends/__init__.py", line 12, in get_backend
    return subclass_where(BaseBackend, name=name.lower())(cfg)
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/backends/cuda/base.py", line 20, in __init__
    self.cuda = CUDA()
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/backends/cuda/driver.py", line 442, in __init__
    self.lib = CUDAWrappers()
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyfr/ctypesutil.py", line 18, in __init__
    fn = getattr(lib, fname)
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/ctypes/__init__.py", line 395, in __getattr__
    func = self.__getitem__(name)
  File "/home/csp/anaconda3/envs/pyfr-venv/lib/python3.9/ctypes/__init__.py", line 400, in __getitem__
    func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcuda.so: undefined symbol: cuDeviceGetUuid_v2

What version of CUDA are you using? ie nvcc --version Also have you followed the CUDA post-installation instructions? CUDA Post installation actions

As per the PyFR documentation:

https://pyfr.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#cuda-backend

the CUDA backend requires at least CUDA 11.4.

Regards, Freddie.

Hi, the CUDA version is indeed 11.4
nvcc -V
nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2021 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Wed_Jun__2_19:15:15_PDT_2021
Cuda compilation tools, release 11.4, V11.4.48
Build cuda_11.4.r11.4/compiler.30033411_0

Note that the nvcc version is not a reliable means of determining the current CUDA version. Please try nvidia-smi.

Regards, Freddie.

Hi Freddie / will,
the nvidia-smi command revealed the following error:
nvidia-smi has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the nvidia driver

After few installations and modifications, the simulation works!!

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards,
Amir